CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

December 8, 2008

To Transfer or Not To Transfer

As you may remember from my last post, my job is kind of screwing me over. When we move in January, the district that I am moving "into" has no open assistant manager positions until the middle of '09. Obviously, I cannot be unemployed for 6+ months. I have the opportunity to possibly "jump ship" and go to Rite Aide, but the manager there cannot hire anyone until February. Granted, a month of unemployment is better than 6, but who is to say that his "hiring freeze" won't end up lasting longer?
Luckily, my boss and my district manager have been "working on something" for me. I found out on Friday what that "something" is, and it has left me with a tough decision to make. My DM wants to move me to another store in his district. It would work out after we move, because the distance is the same as what I am driving now. However, he needs me there within the next 2 weeks, which poses the following problems: (1) Distance. It is at least an hour away from where we are now, give or take a few minutes depending on traffic and old people. (2) I'm not sure I can (or want to) be an hour away from the baby. If something should happen, I wouldn't be able to get home fast enough. (3) My scheduling needs. My boss has been VERY accommodating when it comes to my schedule. Will the store manager in Hamilton be the same way? (4) Holidays. I am not working Christmas. If I have to work New Years it will be early NYE and late NYD. I worked on the overnight shift by myself while I was 19 weeks pregnant last NYE. I think I "earned" a better shift this year. Will the new store manager care about ANY of this? I won't hold my breath.
I have tossed around the idea of calling some of the school districts in the area that we will be moving to and inquiring about substitute teaching positions. I don't WANT to work days, but I figure with subbing I won't be there every day. And, since I already have my BA in Psychology and I plan on taking the Praxis soon, I will probably have my foot in the door when I want a full time teaching position. I am also going back to school in January to get my MA in Teaching.
The major problem I have with going to work during the day is the possibility of missing out on one of TJ's "firsts." I was lucky enough to be here when he rolled over, sat up, and said mama, dada, and baba for the first time. He's not crawling or walking yet, and if I miss out on the first time he does those I'll be pretty sad. But on the other hand, I know that I have to work in order to provide for him. I'm also afraid that if I don't take this transfer offer, I won't be able to get unemployment.
*Sigh* Decisions, decisions.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Just remember you have to do what's best, and only you know what is good for your family. If there is anything I can do please let me know.


But Stupid Job!